Sunday, 12 March 2017

Right Here, Right Now // Music Loves





Hello!

Finally, I return to what I started this blog for, to write about music! So recently, there has been quite a refreshment of music in the charts and well apart from what currently is 25% Ed Sheeran it’s quite varied, which I love! So, today I thought I’d run through some of the artists and songs I am loving at the moment!

Album Mania
Well of course, can we start a music post without talking about the big ass elephant in the charts right now? DIVIDE. I mean I would expect nothing less from Mr Sheeran but in the build-up of this album I have to say I was not extremely excited and buzzing about it and boy was I wrong. In my opinion this is maybe the best album Ed has produced, partly due to the rawness of some of the songs as well as the variety within them. Whilst there are the conventional love songs, they still have strings of originality as they are written on behalf of different family members followed by one or two post-break up songs because I guess everyone needs to be hit in the feels now and again!


Now then, Bruno, Bruno, Bruno. I cannot fault any part of Bruno Mars’ musical history in any way. I have loved both of his previous albums and 24K Magic just adds to my love for this Hawaiian singer. To no surprise this album is heavily sprinkled with 80’s vibes and funk soul. He brightens up the charts with retro sounds with a modern twist. You cannot listen to this album without at least toe tapping your way through it, come on! 24K Magic is the definition of a feel-good album and is guaranteed to liven up any party or normal night in actually...

Divine Duos
I am definitely stuck choosing a favourite between Dive, How Would You Feel and Galway Girl but I have to say I am also loving the mix up with Stormzy! When they debuted this mashup at the Brits I was ecstatic because this is fresh, this is new and it is fun which I think music should be, having one of the UK’s bestselling grime artists collaborate with the man with the fastest selling pop album in history is a vibrant change up in the charts and probably the best collab we have seen this year so far! 


This one is quite a surprise for me as I first heard of Machiene Gun Kelly back in 2013 when he featured on American rock band Sleeping with Sirens song Alone a song very different to what he is in the charts for now. Bad Things with ex-Fifth Harmony singer Camilla Cabello shows the contrast between these two artists which is a great idea as Camilla is seen as the innocent pretty face of the music industry whilst MGK brings about a sense of intimidation, put them together and you have quite the riot on your hands. Moving from a song entirely about love and sex, he is then featured with the UK’s sweethearts Little Mix called No More Sad Songs a song which is basically another break up song but really is perfect! It tells you to not sit around moping along to sad songs and to get up, have fun and listen to loud and happy music. Quite the ‘get ready for a night out’ song if you ask me! 

Vibes
All music allows you to feel a certain way, and at the moment there are a few songs floating about which are ‘chill out’ songs. Starting off with Issues by singer/songwriter Julia Michaels. The American artist has aided her writing skills to such a handful of artists ranging from Demi Lovato to Linkin Park but in 2016 decided to keep a song to herself saying she could not picture anyone else singing it. Personally, I do not think there is a song like issues in the charts currently, although it is similar in its style to many songs, in the aspects of a quiet build up leading to a heavy beat chorus but the delicacy Michael’s brings to the song highlights a personal stamp mark in the charts, and I am excited to see what else we see from her.


Similarly, The Chainsmokers are my go to sometimes, I must admit. The DJ duo consistently put out chilled dance songs that are soon being repeated 100 times a day on every radio station, I mean how many times do you think you have heard Closer on average. Although I am not all over Something Like This purely due to the feature of Coldplay who I have slowly gone off over the recent years, tracks like Paris and All We Know make a recurrent appearance in my playlists!

New Music
Gabrielle Aplin has always been a slightly shadowed artist in the charts I believe but soared to the top back in 2012 when she sang The Power of Love for the John Lewis Christmas advert. Prior to this I had enjoyed her acoustic and raw music to have as background music whilst doing work or just for a bit of a time out from heavier, upbeat music. However, 2016 sees her return with Miss You which is considerately more upbeat and electronic compared to her previous guitar coated songs, and it is great. Aplin has quite a unique voice I believe as she is just a bit nasally but it works, I’ve even had the opportunity to see her live when she went on stage at a Hudson Taylor concert, brilliant.


Speaking of new music, can we please talk about Lorde?! The artist that brought us Royals and Tennis Court remains in her electropop genre but brings something fresh and reviving in Green Light a much more upbeat dance track; something unknown for the New Zealand artist. Lorde has been known to be a very marmite type singer where you either love her or not, but her originality and individualistic style reaches out to a number of people and I believe this is something that uplifts the music industry alongside her indietronica music taste.

Who Runs The World?
There are two female artists I absolutely love everything they do at the moment. One being Anne-Marie, who I found a couple of years ago, featuring on the work of Rudimental as a backing singer. Soon after she released Do It Right and since then her success has soared. Alarm saw her first significant appearance in the charts which I loved but it has to be said that Ciao Adios is my favourite of her mainstream songs however Do It Right is the best for the chilled vibes previously mentioned. Whilst a running theme of her songs have been cheating and highlight the fact that she herself has had to deal with her own issues, I think this is the best way for her to right because it makes her music more heart felt and powerful.


Dua Lipa. This Albanian singer is another Hotter Than Hell artist I am expecting big things from, since her first single she has become more and more wanted as a feature artist as well as working on her own debut album due June 2017. Her indie-pop style incorporates synthpop with aspects of dance and R&B alongside her deep voice, she has featured with Sean Paul on No Lie and built quite the following. I love having these female artists growing in the charts and music industry and Dua is the youngest I have spoken of being only 21, she embraces her musical life after attending the Syvia Young Theatre school, and I hope she carries on for years to come! 

I hope you enjoy this jam packed post! It have been forever since I wrote a music post so it all came flowing out in one because it is all I want to write about! Hopefully I will be back next week with another post!

Until next time,
Shannon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment